The National Scholastic Chess Foundation, in partnership with The City of Sunrise, created The Sunrise Center for Excellence in Chess (the Center) to provide a sustained and institutional commitment to chess as a scholastic, community and social tool by serving as a central clearinghouse for resources and information to support school, municipal, child-care and community-based chess programs and initiatives in the City of Sunrise, Florida. The Center’s goals include:
• Improving academic performance in Sunrise Schools;
• Increasing familial engagement in schools and the community in Sunrise;
• Linking school-based chess clubs and community based efforts and initiatives in Sunrise through the Center’s role as a clearinghouse for information;
• Contributing to a reduction in juvenile crime by providing alternative activities in Sunrise that reduce risky and negative behaviors among at-risk youth;
• Creating stronger community social and cultural bonding in Sunrise;
• Developing best practices for mentoring and teaching chess in the community;
• Promoting new methods to introduce chess to all ages, including seniors, in Sunrise.
The City of Sunrise, already designated by the US Chess Federation as the “National Chess City 2015”, has distinguished itself in the world of scholastic and community based chess initiatives. By becoming the home for The Sunrise Center for Excellence in Chess, Sunrise will continue to lead and to distinguish itself by providing some of the resources needed to serve as the central clearinghouse, to develop new and assist existing programs, to create events, to offer training across the city and to promote Sunrise to the broader world as a CENTER OF EXCELLENCE. The Center will also offer services that will continue to see Sunrise as the epicenter for community-wide scholastic chess across Broward County and throughout the United States.
To find out more About Us, read:
The NSCF in Sunrise and Broward County
The Importance of Chess in Education